[Wine] wine CVS does not find freetype on Gentoo amd64

ploujj at gmail.com ploujj at gmail.com
Fri May 12 09:18:26 CDT 2006

(This is not about any wine ebuild)
(I am not compiling wine in a 32bit chroot)

During the compilation of latest wine release from the CVS repository,
I get the following warning message at the completion of the
./configure script:

*** Warning: Freetype or Fontforge is missing.
*** Fonts will not be built. Dialog text may be invisible or unaligned.

I know for sure that my system has both freetype and fontforge
installed:

[ebuild   R   ] media-gfx/fontforge-20060408  +X +gif +jpeg +png +svg
+tiff +truetype +unicode 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/freetype-2.1.9-r1  -bindist -doc +zlib 0 kB

However, I have a feeling, based on configure's output:

http://plouj.sh.nu/configure.out

that wine isn't finding freetype or something related to it.

Of course, I can compile wine after this but like the warning hinted,
fonts are messed up. In my case, I see things like strange symbols
instead of "_ [] X" at the top right of each window. For example:

http://plouj.sh.nu/cdstomper1.png

I want to figure out what it is that wine is not finding or not liking
about my system. I looked a the configure script but I got lost
tracking what it does. All I could figure out is that it tries to run
'freetype-config --libs' to get a list of libs, which by the way
outputs the following:

 $ freetype-config --libs
-L/usr/lib64 -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/lib64 -lfreetype -lz

Here is how I aquired and configured this wine release:

$ export CVSROOT=:pserver:cvs at cvs.winehq.org:/home/wine
$ cvs login
$ cvs co -r Wine-0_9_12 -d wine-src wine
$ cd wine-0.9.13
$ cat build.sh
#!/bin/bash
CFLAGS="-m32"
LDFLAGS="-L/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/ -L/emul/linux/x86/lib/
-L/usr/lib32/"
./configure
$ ./build.sh

Can someone else try this on Gentoo amd64 and let me know how it works?