[Wine] Re: Can Garmin's (MapSource) USB map-card reader be used in Wine?

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Fri May 12 11:52:47 CDT 2006

>> I've tried using a couple of these Linux applications on my eTrex Legend
>> GPS.  It has a serial port cable for loading and downloading.  Nothing
>> seems to be able to communicate with the GPS unit, either running EasyGPS
>> under Wine or the others directly under Linux.  The unit and software and
>> cable work fine with a Win98 box I have in the work shop.
>>
>> So, my conclusion is that there is no usable Linux or Wine-compatible
>> software which will talk to the Garmin family in a productive manner.

That can be done. See three threads here, dated March 12 & 13 of this
year, starting with "Mappery..."

Nutshell : With a lot of work and a lot of help from savvier people, I got
both the etrex vista and the rino 120 to connect with MapSource, and also
with Maptech's Terrain Navigator (which I like a lot better) -- once each.

Then I lost it again; and FC5 has made CrossoverOffice harder to use, so
far, than FC4 did. So I've left the whole project pretty much in abeyance
till the software changes again -- or somebody with substantially more
savvy than me takes it up. One of you already in this thread might be that
person.

My results, and the way I got them, are scattered among several lists,
wherever I could get help with one piece or another; leads to them are
offered in the posts I mentioned.

If any of you want to work on this and don't find something, or have any
questions about what you do find, I'll be glad to offer what help I can. I
want this project to succeed all the time and with ease, intensely; and
I'm sure it will, sooner or later; but I'm still not up to it, or its
user-friendliness isn't down to my level yet.

Strength to your arms!

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Hunter by Birth,
Not Quite Clueless Fedora Power User