[Wine] No fonts in windows, dialogs, etc..

Marc Barrett mnealbarrett at cox.net
Sun May 14 19:42:27 CDT 2006

I use Gentoo Linux, with an up-to-date installation of Gentoo and Wine.  I downloaded Winetools, and ran it.  To make a long story short, I can't get any fonts or text in any 'Windows' dialogs, windows, etc.  (Except for the title bar)  I have tried literally EVERYTHING to solve this problem.  I 'googled' for other people having the same problem, installed Arial and the other MS fonts over and over.  I also worked through my xorg-x11 fonts setup and everything looks fine.  (The FontPath lines in my xorg.conf file are OK, I installed corefonts, freetype, etc.)

Here are a couple of pictures of what's going on:

http://members.cox.net/~mnealbarrett/snapshot1.png
http://members.cox.net/~mnealbarrett/snapshot2.png

   The second one is after installing Arial with Winetools, which should have cleared up the problem.  I even went completely through Winetools, installing everything 'blind', and the problem persists.  If someone could help with this, I'd appreciate it.