[Wine] Upgrading Wine with VFAT partitions existing

Daniel Skorka skorka at gmx.net
Tue May 16 09:45:17 CDT 2006

James E. Lang <jelly at lang.hm> wrote:
> I have assumed that I could simply install the newer version over the top of
> the older one and that any conversion issues would be addressed on the next

Conversion? What exactly is it you want converted?

> startup. I see now that is not the case. I have not even seen any mention of
> compatibility issues in the abbreviated release announcements. I need to learn
> what steps need to be performed for each biweekly release to make upgrades go
> smoothly.

It is suggested to do a 'make uninstall' in the old source tree before
proceeding with installing the new one, so there is no intermingling of
files.

> I see one major incompatibility issue that could be biting me right now. I came
> to Wine about two years ago with an existing set of 14 Win98 partitions (C;
> through P:). When a new installation of Wine takes place directory
> .wine/dosdevices is not made to use of any of these but rather a soft link from
> c: to .wine/drive_c is created. Directory .wine/drive_c does not contain any of
> *my* windows stuff. How important is it that .wine/dosdevices/c: link to
> .wine/drive_c rather than to *my* Win98 C: partition? It looks like it is very
> important but then, where should my Win98 C: partition go? I don't see how they
> can both be on the same link.

Well, obviously they can't. To address the broader issues here:
You could suggest to the wine developers that any vfat partitions
existing in /etc/fstab should automatically be added. About the C:
drive: You can always try and see what happens if you substitute your
windows C: partition for ~/.wine/drive_c; however, the goal of wine is
to be standalone, without requiring a windows installation. That's why
the default is to have a seperate drive C:

Daniel