[Wine] Upgrading Wine with VFAT partitions existing

Daniel Skorka daniel.skorka at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu May 18 17:39:08 CDT 2006

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 01:43:52PM -0700, James E. Lang wrote:
> Thank you, Daniel, for your response.

You're welcome. And please, keep this on the maling list.

> I want ~/.wine converted rather than it being outright replaced. At least that
> is what I think I want.

You can choose between having it freshly created, and continuing using
your old one. I don't think there is a conversion routine (not that
there is much to convert, mostly just changes to the registry or like
recently the addition of fake dlls).

> Since I install a package rather than build from source, I'm not sure that your
> suggestion to "make uninstall" applies.

Ah, I assumed you were using the source. In that case the package
managment of your distribution hopefully is smart enough to remove a
package before installing a new version.

> It seems to me that wine is a product that is very likely to be needed by
> newcomers to the Linux world more than by those who have been using Linux for
> quite some time. These same people are less likely to be building wine from the

I disagree. Those who really need to use wine (and not just want to
because of force of habit) are newcomers as well as old gurus alike.

> source code. IMHO, those who construct the RPM and/or DEB packages need to take
> this into account. It certainly would help if vfat partitions existing in
> /etc/fstab could be added automatically using the same algorithm that Windows
> uses to assign drive letters. I really don't know how wine's drive_c would fit

That's an issue you have to discuss with the respective package
maintainer.

> into that scheme of things. You certainly can't write the wine files over
> existing files in a vfat partition since that would cause trouble for dual
> booting into a vanilla Windows environment.

Exactly.

Daniel