[Wine] Running or Installing

Geoff Lane geoff at 3lanes.freeserve.co.uk
Fri May 19 15:56:54 CDT 2006

On Fri, 19 May 2006 23:46:11 +0200, Joris Huizer
<jorishuizer at planet.nl> wrote:

>Geoff Lane wrote:
>> Being new to Wine I am wondering; is it better to run a program
>> installed via MS Windows or is it preferable to reinstal using Wine.
>>

>It can be hard to ensure you copy over all files needed for a program;
>also, it's likely you have to copy over registry settings - if you
>reinstall a program using wine, all this is done automatically; I think
>the easiest way is to try whether the program installs; if this fails,
>you could try copying the program files from MS Windows yourself

I didn't actually mean copying over a MS Windows installed set of
files.

I've got a Dual Boot Ubuntu Win98 system and when Ubuntu boots it can
see all my Windows partitions.

I've just tried using the Win98 filepath to run the email program
Pegasus, it runs but then doesn't recognise my username.

Geoff Lane