[Wine] Warcraft 3 & Starcraft run _without_ a CD crack!

drescher0110-lists at yahoo.com drescher0110-lists at yahoo.com
Mon May 22 06:41:40 CDT 2006

--- Florian K�berle <FloriansKarten at web.de> wrote:

> I got Starcraft and Warcraft 3 working without a CD Crack using wine.
>
> The trick is a link in the ~/.wine/dosdevices directory to your mounted
> CD-Rom directory with the name: "d:"
>
> for example if you starcraft CD is mounted in /media/STARCRAFT then
> enter the following commands:
> cd ~/.wine/dosdevices
> ln -s /media/STARCRAFT d:
>
> Don't connect the the Battle.net. Starcraft will crash and Warcraft 3
> will not work any more after a update. (It then have problems to find
> the CD again)

I have not used starcraft in a while but Warcraft 3 has worked (without a crack) for
almost a year for me with what ever the latest version of wine was at the time as
long as I have had no microsoft dlls installed. Also for me I use battlenet and I
have not found a single problem with the upgrades.

John