[Wine] Problem SAVING and LOADING documents in Crossoffice Wine Word97

Benjamin Sher delphi123 at zebra.net
Thu May 25 12:55:29 CDT 2006

Dear friends:

I am using PCLINUXOS version .92.

My problem, simply put, is that I cannot SAVE or LOAD documents in
MSWord97 using the older Codeweavers Crossover Office Wine 1.3.5.
Thinking the problem might be resolved in the latest Crossover Office 5,
I downloaded the Tryout version but the same problem occurs (i.e. at
least for me) in this latest version. In fact, it wouldn't even allow me
to install MSWord97.

Unfortunately, my tech support has long since run out on this older
1.3.5 version (which I received as part of an upgrade of the Crossover
Plugin). I installed MSWord 97 (which I purchased from Microsoft and own
the license to) and it installed successfully.

I downloaded the User's Guide for the latest Crossover Pro version and
read through all of it. Towards the very end I found the question and
answer I was looking for.  The problem is that I don't fully understand
the answer to know what to do. The section is on page 177, point 8.9 of
the User's Guide.
Unfortunately, I cannot seem to copy and paste the section into this
letter. So I have uploaded it to my site at:

http://www.websher.net/tmp/crossover.zip

It suggests editing the support/dotwine/config file. It says that the
main issue is file permissions. I have done that in accordance with
their instructions. But I still can't save or load documents. I think it
has something to do with configuring Wine/MSWord to save somewhere in
Linux (in my home directory) rather than in fake_windows. I just don't
understand the technical matters well enough to know how to do this.

I am happy to report that other than saving and loading MSWord97 works
fine. I can configure it properly and it prints fine. But when I click
on File, Save (or on the toolbar) or on Save As or try to open a
document, Word just crashes. Period. It crashes instantly without
warning or error messages. I never have a chance to do anything after
that. That's the crux of the matter.

I would be very grateful to you if you could help me solve this issue. I
love using Linux and I also love using OpenOffice. But for certain
documents I need to use MSWord97 in order to meet professional standards
by editors and publishers who will not accept any discrepancies or
incompatibilites between a document converted from OpenOffice to
MSOffice because such discrepancies, especially in the case of a host of
formatting issues, do occur. That means that I then have to spend a lot
of time correcting every little error so that my publications will look
professional and be acceptable to the editor or publisher in question.

Can you please help. I'll bet it's a simple solution, but after much
frustrating effort, I can't figure it out.

Thank you very much. Hope you can help.

Benjamin