[Wine] MSWord97 installs properly but still won't launch (or save?) -- 3 more data files

Benjamin Sher delphi123 at zebra.net
Sat May 27 13:59:56 CDT 2006

Dear friends:

Forgot to include three more data files:

http://www.websher.net/tmp/user.reg
http://www.websher.net/tmp/system.reg
http://www.websher.net/tmp/userdef.reg

Thank you again.

Benjamin

I've been trying for some time to install my copy of Word97 (which I
own, having purchased it directly from Microsoft with my own license
number). I have tried the latest Wine 0.9.14. To do this, I first
UNinstalled version 0. 9.1-4 (PCLINUXOS), then installed the new wine
from source. The source install asked me to install a number of font
files, which I did (bison, fontforger, etc., every one of them). The
installation from source was a success. I then typed wincfg and selected
Win98, clicked on OK and exited. I then typed on the command line in the
console:

wine /mnt/cdrom/setup.exe

This brought up the Word97 Setup routine but WITHOUT ANY FONTS, even
after I installed all the font files they asked for. At any rate, at the
end of install, I noticed in the console that the installation was not a
success. So, I decided to give up on this latest Wine, went back to the
wine install directory, typed:

make uninstall

This uninstalled Wine. I then used Konqueror to delete the entire .wine
directory. I then went back to Synaptic and reinstalled my earlier
0.9.1-4 wine version,
which, by the way, beautifully supports my installation of Internet 6.
It's also the same Wine that launches Notepad, which is apparently
included with Wine. Please see screenshot:

http://www.websher.net/tmp/sonnet29.txt

So, the bottom line right now is: MSWord97 (Custom Install, All)
installed successfully into my current 0.9.1-4 Wine. Please see
screenshot of my winecfg:

http://www.websher.net/tmp/winecfg.png

But  right now I cannot even launch the new successfull install of
MSWord97. There are only two ways: by going through the GUI Konqueror.
When I do that and click on /.wine/...Winword.exe I get nothing.
"Winword.exe" will not launch. And when I try to do this in the console
I face the insurmountable problem of how to get past the directory
"Program Files" (i.e. the empty space between "program" and "files").
The question remains after I successfully launch MSWord whether I will
be able to save or open any files in MSWord97. How do I configure the
.wine user files and/or the File Location section in MSWord to make it
save and load my documents in Linux. But first I have to launch MSWord.
Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?

For permissions, please see another screenshot:

http://www.websher.net/tmp/word1.png

I'd really appreciate your help. This has been very frustrating for me.
Would like to resolve this issue on a happy note.

Thank you so much.

Benjamin