[Wine] Re: Running Wine on Ubuntu variant and Outlook

link141 link141 at comcast.net
Sat May 27 13:07:46 CDT 2006

I'm also an Ubuntu variant, and am using WINE.  If you are using
Kubuntu, your in luck, because that is what I am running as well.  All
derivatives of Ubuntu will run the same WINE package, because the
packages between them are entirely interchangeable (without any
modifications).  Ubuntu and Kubuntu (as well as any other Ubuntu
variant) are the same code with different interfaces and default
packages.   So this means whatever Ubuntu variant you are running will
run WINE.  Just one thing, you should use the WINE package from their
special repository, because this one is updated frequently, and the one
in the Ubuntu repositories is not.  Here are the repositories, Breezy
<deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt breezy main> or Dapper <deb
http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt dapper main>.  Dapper is more
stable than Kubuntu Breezy, and will be released June 6 as the "stable"
version.  Dapper will open WINE (if it is installed) when you double
click on a Windows .exe file, wheras Breezy won't.

For your second question, I'm not sure if WINE will run outlook, but
Kontact and Thunderbird are built for the same purpose and work just as
well.  These are native Ubuntu packages, and depending on the variant
of Ubuntu you have, one will be installed by default.  I've found both
to be a suitable replacement for Outlook in all of the areas I've known
in outlook.  Among these there are other MS office clones that are
freely available for Ubuntu, and a good number of them should be
installed by default.

Sorry I took your short questions and turned them into long answers.  I
kinda wrote this in a hurry so it may be confusing.  If you need any
clarification on any of this, or have a Wine or Ubuntu based question,
just post them here and I'll try to help.  I also am a user of the
Ubuntu forums.  We'll get everything sorted out ;).