[Wine] Pegasus Mail and recent versions of Wine

David Dawson gobble_em_up at hotmail.com
Mon May 29 01:04:48 CDT 2006

James E. Lang wrote:

> David Dawson wrote at 20:51 on 22 May 2006:
>
>> James E. Lang wrote:
>>
>> > Has anyone succeeded in running Pegasus Mail with a version of Wine
>> > newer than 0.9.8?
>> I just installed Pegasus Mail v4.21c under Wine 0.9.13, running in Debian
>> Sarge and it worked just fine -- no problems at all.
>
> Thank you, David. I'm keeping this response on list though it may not be
> of that much interest to most. I hope that either you will have some good
> answers for me or that a developer will see this and will be able to
> resolve my problems for me.
>
> You say that you just installed PM v4.21c under Wine 0.9.13. I have a
> series of questions to ask. Am I to assume that you had not been running
> PM under any prior version of Wine? Do you have PM installed on a vfat
> (Windows style) file system or is it on a native Linux file system? If the
> former is the case then what is the directory that is linked from
> .wine/dosdevices/c:? Also, if PM is installed on some drive letter other
> than C: on a vfat file system, what did you have to do to get the drive
> letters all configured correctly?

I had run PM under quite a few previous versions of Wine, I can't recall
which. I don't think I ever had a problem. But then I've had quite a few
different configurations.  I last ran PM under a pure Linux file system,
have for some time, but I remember that I had it under a Wine with a live
Windows install (Win98).
If you run the PM installer, I think you can pretty much configure the paths
as you like, but I usually accept the default if it is reasonable.

But if you mean the drive letters in Wine, winecfg will auto-detect any
devicea and set them up with drive mapping. that worked A-OK under version
0.9.13

> I have posted to this list before regarding my problems. Up through Wine
> version 0.9.8 I had pretty good success with Pegasus Mail (v4.31 at
> present). That covered almost two years of using various versions of Wine.
> Then a change was made for Wine version 0.9.9 that told PM to terminate
> whenever it closed the message composition window. That problem still
> existed in Wine version 0.9.10. I have not had success with any version of
> Wine since 0.9.10 in that PM appears to run in the background without even
> so much as a mention on the task bar. I have found no way to bring it to
> the foreground though it is meaningless for it to run in the background.
>
> My system is running SuSE 9.3 and I install Wine from the rpm packages
> built for that version of Linux.

Why don't you compile from source, then?
It is not difficult, but you do need some development packages, and in the
case of 0.9.14, a patch. If you download the source tarball, un-arc it and
cd to the directory and read the README, you will know enough (I just
run ./configure --prefix=/usr, then make depend && make and then as root,
make install) but make sure you remove the old package first.

The configure script will tell you what you need if you don't have it and
then you can install it and re-run configure. (Just run ./configure
--prefix=/usr 2>ERROR and take a look at the ERROR file.

I also usually run stuff under Wine by bringing up an xterm and giving a
command, such as: wine 'c:\whatever\whatever.exe'

Also if you run KDE, it should show up in the menu and you can put it on the
desktop
--
If you wrestle in the mud with a pig.
you both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

-- Dave Dawson