[Wine] Re: Problems to find a usefull wine configuration

Daniel Skorka skorka at gmx.net
Mon May 29 07:15:20 CDT 2006

please.no.cheese at gmail.com wrote:
> Dear good wine people,
> I wanted to use cedga or wine so i downloaded all the required packages
> (mesa, SDL, freetype, etc) and downloaded wineCVs.sh and runned it.
> I tryied downloading two profiles and compiling them and got two
> different results.
>
> Profile 1: cedega
> ---------------------
> [...]

I know next to nothing about cedeg, so can't help you there. A sugestion
would be to just remove those native DLLs and see what happens.

> Now, i still tried a different configuration....
> Profile 2: standard wine with directx9 patches

Hmm, I thought the directx9 patches had been integrated into wine
alreay...
Anyway, you know that this is not the recommended way of getting wine?

> were buffer underrun messages about the sound printed in the console.

A common problem, as of yet no easy fix. You could try selecting a
different sound output driver (if available) and playing with the
'Hardware acceleration' and 'Driver emulation' settings. Sometime it
helps.

> The most dissapointing fact was that the game window rejected the
> mouse, the X11 mouse never entered the window while the game's mouse
> pointer stayed always in the upper left corner of the window itself.
> When i tried to enter the window with the mouse it dissapeared and
> appeared somewhere else in the screen. This behaiviour appeared in all

I have observed this behaviour with Mafia under wine 0.9.14. Basically,
the mouse pointer has to be inside the desktop window as soon as it is
created, otherwise this will happen.

> worse, because i could not do anything with the system and had to reset
> the computer to continue using it.

You mean you could not change to a console? Or use ALT-F4 to close the
window? Or kill your X server?

> object and interact with the programm. It worked fine but there were
> defects in the drawing, for example the  title bar and the menu bar
> were not allways drawn, sometimes i would see a black area in the
> script instead of those parts of the window. also some of the faces i
> designed could not be seen from the normal view but i still could see
> them when rendering a preview of the image.
> This behaiviour was very sensitive to window movement, when i placed
> the window in a different place some of the errors were corrected, but
> it was a specific position in the screen.

Could be due to some drawing voodoo on behalf of the program. Is there a
free download available?

Daniel