[Wine] how to create fake cd drive?

Istvan Gabor suseuser04 at freemail.hu
Fri Nov 3 07:42:16 CST 2006

Robert,

thanks for your help.

> I assume that you want to mount a .iso image. Any other
> image can be
> converted to .iso.
>
> 1) (as root) mount the iso image to a temporary mountpoint
>     > mount -o loop /home/joe/cd.iso /mnt/temp
> 2) set up wine to use this as a drive
>     > winecfg
>        Click on Drives, Add...
>        Set path to /mnt/temp (or other mountpoint)
>        Click on Show Advanced
>        Set Type to CD-ROM
>
> there! wine will now map your mountpoint (or any directory)
> to a CD
> drive. I havn't actually tried it, and I highly doubt that it's
> going to
> work with modern copy protections, but there you are.

Actually my image is an alcohol 120 bin/cue image. So I first
have to find a tool to convert it to iso.  It has also audio tracks
after the data track.  I guess iso image cant hold audio tracks
only data.  In this case mounting as a loopback could be used
for the data only.  The audio part can't be used. Am I right?

The other thing I don't prefer loopback I need to do it as root
which I don't like.

Thanks,
IG