Fwd: [Wine] How to install an application under WINE

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 19:48:54 CDT 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com>
Date: Oct 1, 2006 8:48 PM
Subject: Re: [Wine] How to install an application under WINE
To: stephanos at writeme.com

First you want to log in and open a shell as the user you want to run the
app and create the proper links under .wine/dosdevices/ for any paths you
want accessable to windows applications. You can either do this directly or
use winecfg, however I prefer to do this directly because winecfg does not
setup the cdrom the way I want it (as drive z: with the device link as z::).

Here is what I have in my dosdevices folder:

~/.wine/dosdevices $ pwd
/home/john/.wine/dosdevices
john at jmd1 ~/.wine/dosdevices $ ls -al
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 john users 168 Jul 29 22:46 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 john users 192 Aug  1 23:22 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 john users  10 Jun 20 00:30 c: -> ../drive_c
lrwxrwxrwx 1 john users  10 Jul 29 22:46 d: -> /home/john
lrwxrwxrwx 1 john users   1 Jun 20 00:30 e: -> /
lrwxrwxrwx 1 john users   8 Jul 24 23:55 z: -> /mnt/dvd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 john users   8 Jul 24 23:55 z:: -> /dev/dvd

After you have this setup correctly to install you usually first mount the
cdrom

mount /mnt/dvd

then run

wine z:setup

or

wine z:install

to run the installer from the cd.

John
On 10/1/06, Stephen Constantinou <stephanos at writeme.com > wrote:

> Dear All
>
> I have managed to install WINE onto my Mandriva 2006 Linux computer.
> New entries appear in my menu.  I have read much of the FAQ, How To, and
> Documentation but unless I have missed something I cannot find any
> section that deals with installing an application under WINE.
>
> Do I have to remain logged in a terminal as root, or do I use one of the
> new menu entries as a user?
>
> What do I do ?
>
> Any help appreciated
>
> Stephen