[Wine] cpu overload

Thomas H. George tom at tomgeorge.info
Tue Oct 10 09:17:51 CDT 2006

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 09:27:46AM -0400, John Drescher wrote:

> >> Fix your hardware. No software package should ever cause the cpu to
> >overheat till it needs to shutdown. This is either a hardware problem or
> >your room is way too hot. The first thing I would do is check the cpu fan
> >and blow the dust out of it.
>

> When I think of it there are a few other options. Some computers have
> software controlled fans so if the fan is not being controlled correctly by
> software this can happen. Also are you 100% sure that the cpu is overheating
> sometimes temp sensors do not read correctly.
>
> John

Yes, I'm sure.  When I shutdown I checked BIOS before rebooting.  By
that time the cpu temperature had dropped to 59 C. (The alarm is set for
60 C.) and both the cpu fan and the case fan were running normally.  I
watched until the cpu temperature was down to 55 C before rebooting.

Note that this problem has never occurred before and only recurred when
I restarted the wine application.

Tom