[Wine] Re: wine segfaulting

Nick Law nlaw at nildram.co.uk
Thu Oct 12 03:27:02 CDT 2006

Pavel Troller wrote:
> Hi Christoph!
>
>> Hi Pavel,
>>

>>>   Simple apps, like winecfg and notepad, run well. Other ones don't. For
>>> some of them, wine dumps a lot of warnings before the segfault, but exactly
>>> the same warnings are emitted on another machines, where the app runs well.
>>> When the app fails, it even doesn't start to render its window. However, when
>>> a virtual desktop is to be used, it appears but it's still empty in the
>>> moment of the fault.
>>>
>> Maybe there are old files from a previous installation of wine in this
>> box laying around? Try to remove first all the wine related files first
>> and then copy over your binary files again.
>>

> Thanks for your valuable hint, but it's not the case here. My wine package is
> strictly isolated at /opt/wine and except user's .wine directory, there are no
> other wine's files on the system. And because I'm installing new versions by
> cd /opt ; rm -r wine ; tar xIvf wine.tar.bz2 , I think that it's safe to say
> that no old file can survive this :-).
> Since my first post, I did a full wine build on the subjected machine; however,
> the resulting binary crashes exactly the same way as the imported binary
> package, which I think proved that the problem is not caused by some binary
> incompatibility between the build and running system.
>              With regards, Pavel Troller

I had trouble with installing a program called WebEngine on 0.9.22, it
turned out I needed to rm or mv my .wine directory to .wine.old,
something I have not done since wine 0.9.10. I ran winecfg which created
a new .wine and now webengine installs correctly. This may be worth
trying, it's not always the binaries in /opt that could be the problem.
Regards, Nick