[Wine] Cannot start Photoshop

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Fri Oct 13 03:14:27 CDT 2006

On Friday 13 October 2006 02:05, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 13/10/06, Dejan Velimirovic <dvsoftware at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1. upgrade your wine installation
> > 2. remove winetools, you should not use it, it harms more than it
> > helps
>
> Er, how would I go about installing Arial font, dcom98, Windows
> Installer, and other things without winetools? I've looked up and
> down the wine site to no avail.

Here's what I do:

Maintain a ~/.wine without winetools
Maintain a ~/.winetools with winetools

If software won't install in .wine but does in .winetools, then start
comparing the two to find relevant differences and move them into .wine

More often than not the setting that will make something work is a dll
override. Yes, you need to hunt to find cures. Yes, it's hard work.
Yes, you will pull your hair out sometimes. This is not wine's fault -
the project is successfully doing the (almost) impossible but it will
always be somewhat of a round peg and square hole problem. Someone
needs to do these comparisons and report up which wine functions now
work and do not need the winetools workaround anymore, that person
might as well be you :-)

Meanwhile, you need to upgrade wine like Dejan suggested. Your version
is 15 months out of date.

alan