[Wine] Ugly menu/dialog font of applications, using debian sarge and wine 0.9.8 and 0.9.22

wolfram lechner llwwde at yahoo.de
Mon Oct 30 05:49:17 CST 2006

hello,
I have a problem with an unsuitable font in the
windows menus/dialogs with the above versions of wine
(dont think this depends much on the versions, though.
Have not tried other versions so far.) when using
debian sarge.

The font seems to look a bit ugly, usually destroys
partly the menu/dialog structures, and, most
important, has no German umlaut's (the diphtongs ae,
oe, ue and others) which I need definitely.

I have, on an old small HD, a 'trial' debian sarge
wine0.9.8 installation that does not have this defect:
There the font has the umlauts, looks pretty and does
not destroy menu/dialog elements.

Similarly, on 2 SuSE9.3/wine installations the problem
is also not present.

Somehow I will have to change the system font I
supppose!??

In the user /.wine configuration directory there are
several (reg-)files with relation also to fonts. But I
could not make succesful font changes by editing any
of these files.

Moreover, I copied the 'good' .wine-configuration
files from the above old trial debian HD to my 2
troubled installations - without any remarkable effect
on the behaviour of wine at all...

I would be lucky to get some help...

Wolfram Lechner