[Wine] The Sims 1: iKernel.exe

Allan S holyparmesan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 11:59:59 CDT 2006

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but I searched, and didn't find:

I'm trying to install the Sims 1 from CD, and I figured out that you
need to cd to /media/cdrom0 to launch it. I ran wine ./start.exe, and
it launched the screen fine. Exit works. All the buttons work, and
clicking Install launches the install process (I think it's
/media/cdrom0/Setup/Setup.exe). Then, the installer opens, showing its
splash screen, the progress bar dialog, and an "OK" button-type dialog
that says:

The InstallShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be installed.

IKernel.exe could not be copied to 'c:\Program Files\Commoon
Files\InstallShield\Engine\6\Intel 32'.
Make sure that you have the appropriate privileges to copy files to
this folder. (0x20)

Running wine as root does the same thing. Is there a workaround, or is
it just a "Sims will never work in wine" thing?