[Wine] re: Wine needs a long time to start

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Sep 12 18:12:00 CDT 2006

Jörg wrote:
>I'm using Ubuntu Dapper and today i build an individual kernel based on
>the vanilla sources for 2.6.16 with the CK Patchset.
>Everything works fine, except wine. Everytime i start an application
>with wine or just winecfg it needs a long time to come up.
>Winecfg e.g. needs about 2 minutes (with the default Ubuntu kernel
>abount 10s). During that wait time i can hear some knittering
>out of my speakers. This is the same with the default kernel but now it
>is slower - like the rest. ;(

What if you build your own kernel based on vanilla 2.6 *without*
the CK patchset?  If that doesn't show the problem, then
maybe you've found a new test case for Con to look at,
and you should email him.

BTW, is this the procedure you're following:
(updated to use
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/ck/patches/2.6/2.6.16/2.6.16-ck12/
)?

Odd question: do you have a lot of printers on your LAN?