[Wine] Re: squares instead of font characters since wine-0.9.13

Jonathan Ernst jonathan at ernstfamily.ch
Wed Sep 27 08:10:26 CDT 2006

Le mercredi 27 septembre 2006 à 14:43 +0200, Jens Gulden a écrit :
> Jonathan Ernst wrote:
> >> Please stop the FUD, Wine has correct fonts
>
> Good if your installation has, but according to this list many people suffer from broken fonts - as
> I did for a long time until last night.
>
> FUD: a) Familienunterstützender Dienst, b) Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt

That would be b) ;-)

> To me, copying the fonts very much reduced my uncertainty and doubts about wine :-). (Although I
> very much dislike the idea of needing an original version of that 'wide-spread OS from Redmond' to
> make wine run properly.)

Sorry for being so harsh but the question about the fonts has been
answered so many times that it's getting annoying.

If you use a packaged Wine version and you have ugly fonts you should
report it to the packager because Wine doesn't need M$'s fonts to work
correctly.

If you build yourself, make sure your read ./configure warnings about
fonts (fontforge & Co).

Did your try a packaged version from WineHQ
(http://www.winehq.com/site/download) ?

> There are some other competely different issues that cause some 'uncertainty' for me (see
> http://www.winehq.com/pipermail/wine-users/2006-September/023502.html), so by being more active on
> this list I hope eventually someone will help me with that, too, and wine will become better.

Your best bet is to open a bug in bugzilla: http://bugs.winehq.org

Regards.

Jonathan