[Wine] Problem on installing MS VM on wine

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 02:27:06 CDT 2007

Hi L. Rahyen,

- snip -

> > What does it mean?  No MS VM found?
>
> 	ies4linux install IE to non-default WINEPREFIX. If you did
> installation of
> msjava exactly as I have suggested without exporting WINEPREFIX
> environment
> variable then it is expected result - IE from non-standard WINEPREFIX
> (most
> likely ~/.ies4linux/ie6) will not find msjava installed in standard
> WINEPREFIX (that's ~/.wine).
> 	See below how to solve this problem.
>
> 	Before you continue, please make sure you have latest WINE installed
> - that's
> 0.9.43! You may try with older version too but in case of any
> problems before
> asking for farther help make sure you have latest version. No one
> will
> support old WINE versions!

Noted.

- snip -

> > Could you please explain in more detail?  Tks.
>
> 	Yes, of course. You have two ways to do this:
>
> 	1) This is simplest and fastest way (at least in my opinion).
> 	Use wine-double-install to copy all changed files and registry
> entries after
> msjava installation from clean WINEPREFIX to WINEPREFIX with IE.
> 	I have attached wine-double-install script to this message. You need
> install it like this on your system:
>
> chmod +x wine-double-install
> sudo cp wine-double-install /usr/local/bin/
>
> 	Now you ready to use it. In your particular case you should run it
> like this:
>
> rm -rf ~/.wine-tmp
> wine-double-install -s ~/.wine-tmp -d /.ies4linux/ie6 \
> msjavx86b3805.exe \
> MSJavWU_8073687b82d41db93f4c2a04af2b34d.exe
>
> 	This will install both files with clean WINE (it is important here
> that
> directory given with -s option doesn't exist so new WINEPREFIX will
> be
> created) and then will copy all changes in filesystem and registry
> from clean
> WINE to WINE with IE. If installation with clean WINE was OK then you
> should
> have now msjava in WINEPREFIX with IE.
> 	If this script will work fine for you don't forget to tell me about
> this! I
> never tested it on other machines. Thanks.

Gnome Desktop

On Update Manager
update wine
"MSWindows Compatibility Layer (Binary Emulator and Litrary)
>From version 0.9.33-Oubuntul to 0.9.43~winehq0~ubuntu~6.10-1 (Size:
9.0MB)

$ apt-cache policy wine
wine:
  Installed: 0.9.43~winehq0~ubuntu~6.10-1
  Candidate: 0.9.43~winehq0~ubuntu~6.10-1
  Version table:
 *** 0.9.43~winehq0~ubuntu~6.10-1 0
        500 http://wine.budgetdedicated.com edgy/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     0.9.41-0ubuntu2~feisty1 0
        500 http://debian.linux.org.tw feisty-backports/universe
Packages
     0.9.33-0ubuntu1 0
        500 http://debian.linux.org.tw feisty/universe Packages
     0.9.22-0ubuntu3 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com edgy/universe Packages

wine update to version 0.9.43

Start IE6
top tool-bar and address bar are found.

Download wine_double_install on /home/satimis

$ chmod +x -c wine_double_install
mode of `wine_double_install' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)

$ sudo cp wine_double_install /usr/local/bin/
Password:
$ rm -rf ~/.wine-tmp
No complaint

$ wine-double-install -s ~/.wine-tmp -d /.ies4linux/ie6 \
> msjavx86b3805.exe \
> MSJavWU_8073687b82d41db93f4c2a04af2b34d.exe
bash: wine-double-install: command not found

$ which wine-double-install
No printout

Ah I should use wine_double_install, sorry.

$ wine_double_install -s ~/.wine-tmp -d /.ies4linux/ie6
msjavx86b3805.exe MSJavWU_8073687b82d41db93f4c2a04af2b34d.exe
Creating source WINEPREFIX... fixme:midi:OSS_MidiInit Synthesizer
supports MIDI in. Not yet supported.
/home/satimis/.wine-tmp updated successfully.
Done.
Saving current registry and filesystem state... Done.
Running WINE..

Would you like to install the Microsoft
[Yes]
Accept "Agreement"

Microsoft VM
The MS virtual machine you are attempting to install is a
protected system component and can only be updated with a later
release of the operating system or service pack.
[OK]

The installation is completed
[OK]

fixme:midi:OSS_MidiInit Synthesizer supports MIDI in. Not yet
supported.

Make sure  that installation went fine!  If everything is OK then
enter "y" to continue. If installation has failed, enter "n".

Do you want to continue? [y/N] y

Computing source filesystem changes... Done.
Applying source filesystem changes to the destination... mkdir: cannot
create directory `/.ies4linux': Permission denied
mkdir: cannot create directory `/.ies4linux': Permission denied
cp: cannot create regular file
`/.ies4linux/ie6/drive_c/windows/vminst.log': No such file or directory
Done.
Computing source registry changes... Done.
Applying source registry changes to the destination... Done.
        There was errors (see /tmp/reg.patch.log) when applying source
registry changes to the destination.
        NOTE: Typically it is OK to have few minor errors about
importing or exporting registry keys.
Saving current registry and filesystem state... Done.
Running WINE...

(Remark: error found here)

Microsoft VM
Would you like to install the Microsoft
[Yes]

Accept Agreement

MS VM
The setup will only upgrade over an existing version of
the Microsoft VM
[...]

(Remark: error also found here)

Fired up IE6

Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced
Setting:-
Still displaying;
Java (Sun)
[check] Use java 2v1.4.2_12 for ,applet. (requires restart)

No "MS VM" found.

B.R.
Stephen Liu