[Wine] Problem on installing MS VM on wine

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Wed Aug 15 10:51:11 CDT 2007

On Wednesday August 15 2007 15:04, Stephen Liu wrote:
> --- "L. Rahyen" <research at science.su> wrote:
>
> - snip -
>
> > > Started IE6
> > >
> > > Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> Settings
> > > No MS VM found
> > >
> > > only java (Sun) here unchecked
> >
> > 	That means installation has failed. Please attach this file (it will
> > appear
> > right after msjavx86b3805.exe installation):
> > ~/.ies4linux/ie6/drive_c/windows/vminst.log - it will let me
> > understand
> > what's wrong.
>
> file attached to this email.
>

> Stephen

	It says there:

Existing VM Version  : 5.0.3810.0 (msjava.dll)
Incoming VM Version  : 5.0.3805.0 [Older]
The exising VM is more recent than the incoming one.
Unable to complete installation.

	That means you have (partially) installed the update for msjava. But because
as you have said it failed for you at "Register Base Classes" stage IE cannot
detect msjava (because obviously during msjava update previous correctly
registered base classes was replaced with newer ones but they wasn't
correctly registered in the system becasue of crash).

	OK, tomorow I will try clean ies4linux install with msjava and will (try to)
write step-by-step and easy-to-follow howto.
	I want to say that my ies4linux installation is very custom and has a lot of
weird changes so this is why msjava works for me and don't work for you. I
just need some time to figure out what exactly is necessary for msjava to
actually work in WINE for anyone else.