[Wine] wine-users Digest, Vol 29, Issue 1

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Tue Dec 4 01:47:04 CST 2007

On Sunday December 2 2007 15:14, Eric Weir wrote:
> On 12/01/2007 L. Rahyen wrote:
> > I solved this problem shortly after posting about it. I deleted the
> >
> > > empty /.wine file and then tried reinstalling. At first I thought it
> > > had failed again. There was not even a /.wine folder.
> >
> > 	In such cases you should run:
> >
> > wineprefixcreate
> >
> > 	...in order to create/repair/update WINE prefix. So if in future you
> > will want to clean up your .wine then just delete it and run the command
> > above.
> >

> > 	Thank you for using WINE
>
> Thank you. I was intimidated by Wine at first, but I'm learning.
> Winefile and wincfg are a great help.
>
> Having difficulty getting the two applications I've installed to run.
> Niether will run from the menu items I've created for them.

	If you want I can send you wrapper script which can be used to run Windows
application from any working directory with UNIX (not Windows) paths as
arguments (they will be automatically converted to Windows paths so Windows
application can use them).
	In other words such wrapper script will allow to use any Windows application
as usual UNIX application. You can use it to create launching icons for your
Windows application, use drag-and-drop with these icons as usually, etc.
	Of course you need to make sure that your application does work with WINE
first; read below.

> Not sure I
> know what command to enter. One will run if I browse to it from
> winefile. The other won't run even if I do that.

	Run konsole or any other xshell you like and make sure to cd to the directory
with *.exe file before running it with WINE. For example:

cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/My\ Program/
wine program.exe

	If your application was installed in recent WINE with clean WINE prefix and
still doesn't work you should report a bug at http://bugs.winehq.org .

	Thank you for using WINE.