[Wine] wine proccess list

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Wed Dec 12 00:27:59 CST 2007

On Wednesday December 12 2007 05:07, Pavel Troller wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 11. Dezember 2007 18:02:53 schrieb Gonzalo Martinez -
> > Sanjuan
> >
> > Sanchez:
> > > Hello to all.
> > >
> > > I have something in mind that I would like to ask to Wine developers.
> > > Is it possible using a hack/trick or a hidden option to change the
> > > name of wine in the proccess lists?
> > > I mean, Is it possible to list 'wine' proccess as, for example
> > > 'iexplorer' when I use Internet Explorer under Wine?
> > >
> > > Thanks a lot for your work, hope my question find the answer here.
> >
> > This is done since quite some time. apps are usually called
> > "iexplore.exe", or they have the name of the file that was passed to
> > wine, like C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
> >
> > If you still see "wine", "wineloader" or something similar you have a
> > very outdated version of wine.
>
> Hi!
>   BTW I don't like this feature and I would prefer at least a commandline
> switch, or maybe a registry key, to prevent it.
>   Why ?
>   Because wine (and windows apps) sometimes crash and remain running, doing
> nothing useful but eating CPU/memory, and not being able to be killed
> easily (even killing the window doesn't close the app reliably). For this
> case, it's most easy to execute "killall -KILL <some static name like
> wine/wine-pthread>" instead of doing ps axufw, searching for the name of
> the app and then killing it. I had a single-liner script called kw (kill
> wine) and doing exactly the above command, and a beutifull bomb icon
> calling it. Now I can't se it - even killing wineserver sometimes doesn't
> help.

	You can simply run:

wineserver -k

	This kills all processes which belongs to current WINE prefix (as specified
in WINEPREFIX environment variable or ~/.wine otherwise). For me this works
in 100% of cases so I see no problem here.
	Personally I really like this feature because I always know what Windows
program(s) use my CPU and I can easily send STOP/CONT/KILL signals to Windows
program(s) I want. Without this features this would be (almost) impossible.