[Wine] Can't get OpenGL to work

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com
Tue Dec 11 20:25:18 CST 2007

Alexander Nicolaysen Sørnes wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 December 2007 10:43:50 Markus Hitter wrote:
>
>> Am 11.12.2007 um 06:40 schrieb Anurag Mishra:
>>
>>> If you are a critical business user, try switching to nvidia.
>>>
>> Is Wine paid by nvidia or how should I think about such explicit
>> recommendations? There are other graphics card vendors as well and
>> not dealing with Intel hardware is pretty much like ignoring MS
>> Windows on the software side: market share is huuuuge.
>>

>> Markus
>>

> Generally nVidia has been the only graphics vendor that is taking Linux
> seriously, offering the same features in its Linux and Windows drivers.
>
> So if Wine had workarounds for every missing feature or bug in the ATI or
> Intel drivers, that would rather be an indication on Wine being paid by ATI
> or Intel. :)

One who expects Intel to produce high quality Linux drivers must be
somewhere other than where I
am.  Intel MAKES a fortune on the Windows market, and very little in the
Linux market.  ATI (I think they
have been bought by another company) had decent but not spectacular
drivers for Linux for a while.  nVidia
who makes monies by being a high-end video company is the only company
that seriously supports Linux.
One only has to look at who is making money through the 'sale' of Linux
video cards to see who is going
to provide the best support.  Intel is not making money through the
'sale' of Linux, nVidia is.  Thus, replace your
Intel card (most likely built-in and it cannot be turned off) with a
good quality nVidia or ATI card, and you
get 'out of the box' Linux support.  BTW, my Mac has an ATI video card
as well as my Thinkpad (which was
built over five years ago.)  I have good quality video on the Thinkpad,
with ATI's video drivers.

James