[Wine] Re : .NET programs

Louis Lenders xerox_xerox2000 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 13 07:39:06 CST 2007

James McKenzie <jjmckenzie51 <at> sprintpcs.com> writes:

> Sylvain Petreolle wrote:
> > Hi,
> > >
> > Windows .NET programs are usually linked to some native dlls or
> > something. In my experience, they don't usually run on Linux Mono.
> Kevin:
>
> I have several .NET programs that DO work with MONO.  The problem is
> if you have to access a database in the program.  I have a program that uses
> the Jet 4.0 (Access) engine to access data.  This program WILL NOT work
> on my Mac, but may work on in Linux.  Since I don't have the resources to
> confirm this, I will state that some .NET programs will work with MONO, but
> you may have problems getting Mono to work with Wine.  I feel that
> implementation
> of .NET within Wine is a goal that the developers should be moving towards
> or at a minimum, .NET should be installable under Wine.  Sorry, but Mono
> does not and will not play well with Wine.
>
> James

Of course you could always try install the "real" .NET in wine. The installation
of .NET 2.0 should go fine with current wine (0.9.50). I've added a howto in the
appdb here http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=3754 how
to get at least several (simple) .net apps running like that (based on info from
a guy who found all this stuff out ;unfortunately you have to patch wine for
that, so compile from sources).