[Wine] exporting registry to Wine

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Tue Dec 18 05:41:13 CST 2007

Am 18.12.2007 um 12:02 schrieb L. Rahyen:

> On Tuesday December 18 2007 09:46, Markus Hitter wrote:
>> Am 17.12.2007 um 19:20 schrieb Sebastien Roret:
>>> PS : I guess it is registry related, because I can install these
>>> programs
>>> through Wine. But I just wanted to launch through a complete C
>>> drive :)
>>
>> It's generally considered the wrong approach to map a "real" C: drive
>> to Wine's drive_c.
>
> 	Because it IS wrong approach.
>
>> That said, it's intuitive to do so, many people do it (intuitively)
>
> 	I don't think that this is intuitive.

L.,

obviously you rely on the assumption people use either Windows
natively or Wine exclusively. However, many people (want to) use it
at the same time. Reasons are very similar to why people set up dual-
boot systems or why they run Windows in a virtual environment (qemu,
VMware). Even hardware emulators allow to map a native drive.

>> and running applications installed natively has some benefits.
>
> 	It has no benefits in general.

The very obvious benefit is, you have to maintain only one set of
software.

Another benefit is, you avoid hassles with installers which often do
some scurrile hardware checks which fail in a non-native environment.

Third benefit is, preferences stay in sync between the Wine and the
native installation.

Fourth benefit is, you can quickly switch between native and Wine-
delivered dlls without copying files.

Fifth benefit is, you can easily compare application behaviour
between native Windows and Wine.

If one can get that many benefits by just copying registry stuff,
it's sure worth a look. You will always have the (default) option to
not map the native C: drive if you are more puristic about Wine or if
you don't have a native Windows available, but capability to sync
Wine with a native Windows would be a huuuuge asset.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/