[Wine] inspecting win32 .dll from linux

Scott Serr serrs at theserrs.net
Tue Dec 18 10:29:29 CST 2007

Alistair Leslie-Hughes wrote:
> "Scott Serr" <serrs at theserrs.net> wrote in message
> news:47661903.8000303 at theserrs.net...
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'd like to look at the file properties of a win32 .dll file from
>> Linux.  I desire the entries that you normally see under the "Version"
>> tab in the file's properties like:  "Company", "File Version", "Internal
>> Name".
>>
>> I suspect that there is nothing out there that is just a simple Linux
>> program that does this, so that is why I am here.  (searched quite a bit)
>>
>> I think I have 2 options:
>> - find some code in the wine project that does this?!  somewhere in the
>> build dll code?
>> - write or find a windows exe that uses the standard windows calls and
>> call that from wine.  (hoping to find something that would dump it to
>> stdout)
>>
>> Any thoughts or helpful hints?  Are there specs somewhere on how to
>> disassemble this information out of a DLL?
>>

> Hi Scott,
>    Try  Dependency Walker  http://www.dependencywalker.com/
>
> It runs under wine without issues.

Thanks.  I'll try that.

I don't mind coding some, if I can have a tight little Linux executable
in the end.  I was hoping to use Wine as an example and hopefully write
something very small that didn't depend on Wine.  I'm trying to avoid
putting Wine on a live CD (that is not my own creation).

Thanks for anyone's help...  Is there a better mailing list to use?
This might be considered development.  I guess I'll wait a while and
post something on the wine-devel list.

Thanks,
Scott