[Wine] Adobe PageMaker 6.5

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 18 20:08:03 CST 2007

This is a second post attempt... for some reason my posts are not making
it through via the gmane server. So apologies if you receive duplicates.

On 12/18/2007 10:09 AM, Dan Kegel wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> I installed PM65 today [on wine-0.9.51] ... when I attempt
>> to run PM65 from the Wine menu I receive the following error message:
>>
>>Cannot start PageMaker.
>>Unable to load icon DLL for this screen.
>>
>>if from a terminal I cd to the PM65 directory in .wine and
>>issue: wine pm65.exe the program opens and runs - I have even edited,
>>modified & saved several test PM65 files...
>> I was able to install and run PM65 last Sept (2006) using wine 0.9.9.
>
> Sounds like the menu item Wine registers should
> be starting the app in its directory.
>
> Can you try installing on Windows and right click on
> the menu item there to see whether it sets the current
> directory?

Installed in Windows and the target shows:
"C:\Program Files\Adobe\PM65\PM65.EXE"
Start in:
""C:\Program Files\Adobe\PM65""
Shortcut key: None
Run: Normal window

I even installed all of the updates etc., on Windows and copied the
windows installed version over to .wine to see if that would make any
difference - it didn't.

I believe that the problem is related to fonts as I also found a few
links via google where others had
this same error, no resolution that I could find (yet):
<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Pagemaker+%2B8027%3A6623&btnG>
but it appears to be a font related issue:
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=328513&sliceId=1

I tried option 3 from the adobe kb:
Solution 3: Remove and reinstall PageMaker Aldfont*.fon files.
and now the font error output is smaller than the previous.

Running from the terminal (where the program comes up & works) I find:

~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Adobe/PM65$ wine pm65.exe
fixme:font:WineEngCreateFontInstance Untranslated charset 32
fixme:font:get_nearest_charset returning DEFAULT_CHARSET
face->fs.fsCsb[0] = 00000000 file = /home/gg/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program
Files/Adobe/PM65/ALDFONTE.FON
err:twain:twain_add_onedriver Source->(DG_CONTROL,DAT_IDENTITY,MSG_GET)
failed!
fixme:font:WineEngCreateFontInstance Untranslated charset 32
fixme:font:WineEngCreateFontInstance Untranslated charset 255
fixme:font:WineEngCreateFontInstance Untranslated charset 32
fixme:font:WineEngCreateFontInstance Untranslated charset 255
fixme:font:WineEngCreateFontInstance Untranslated charset 32
fixme:font:WineEngCreateFontInstance Untranslated charset 255
fixme:font:WineEngCreateFontInstance Untranslated charset 32
fixme:font:get_nearest_charset returning DEFAULT_CHARSET
face->fs.fsCsb[0] = 00000000 file = /home/gg/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program
Files/Adobe/PM65/ALDFONTE.FON
fixme:font:WineEngRemoveFontResourceEx :stub
fixme:font:WineEngRemoveFontResourceEx :stub