[Wine] all apps are black with nvidia driver

Gus Wirth gwirth at sciti.com
Wed Feb 7 14:44:45 CST 2007

System:
Abit KT7A
Athlon XP1800
1GB RAM
nVidia GeForce4 MX440 AGP 64MB
Fedora Core 5 with latest updates
Xorg 7.0
Screen set to 1280x1024, 24 bit color

Details:
I have a problem where all my wine apps, including all the ones that
come with wine like winecfg, notepad, etc, cause the whole screen to go
black when they have the focus. However, the cursor still shows up and
will change shape from pointer to text insert (vertical bar) when moved
over the (now invisible) various apps on the screen. The focus can be
taken away from the wine app by using Alt-Tab which will restore the
screen except for the wine app, which will still be all black but with
the border created by the window manager being visible. When given back
the focus by clicking with the mouse, the whole screen will turn black
again.

This problem occurs with both the open-source nv driver and the
proprietary nvidia driver. This does NOT happen with the VESA driver, so
the problem seems to be isolated to the nvidia drivers.

Tested versions of wine are:
0.9.24 from Fedora 5 extras
0.9.27 from Fedora 5 extras
0.9.30 built using the spec file from 0.9.27 with a slight teak for the
change in number
0.9.30 compiled from scratch

ALL of these versions of wine fail.
Changing resolutions to 1024x768 or 800x600 has no effect.
Changing desktop from KDE to GNOME has no effect.

My video card is a nVidia GeForce4 MX440 AGP.
The pertinent line from my Xorg.0.log file shows my card:

(--) PCI:*(1:0:0) nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] rev
193, Mem @ 0xe8000000/24, 0xe4000000/26

There is nothing showing up in my Xorg.0.log file to show any problems.

No other applications have this problem, only those that use wine.

When running winecfg with the environment variable WINEDEBUG=warn+all, I
get lots of warnings about files not being found but it seems that they
eventually are because multiple paths are being searched for the same
file, plus some warnings about fonts. The strange errors are things like
this:
warn:gdi:GDI_GetObjPtr Invalid handle (nil)
warn:gdi:GDI_GetObjPtr Invalid handle 0x3e4
warn:dpa:DPA_GetPtr not enough pointers in array (0 vs 0).
warn:dpa:DPA_GetPtr not enough pointers in array (0 vs 0).
warn:dpa:DPA_GetPtr not enough pointers in array (0 vs 0).
warn:dpa:DPA_GetPtr not enough pointers in array (0 vs 0).
warn:dpa:DPA_GetPtr not enough pointers in array (0 vs 0).
warn:dpa:DPA_GetPtr not enough pointers in array (0 vs 0).
warn:gdi:GDI_GetObjPtr Invalid handle (nil)
warn:dpa:DPA_GetPtr not enough pointers in array (0 vs 0).
warn:gdi:GDI_GetObjPtr Invalid handle (nil)
warn:gdi:GDI_GetObjPtr Invalid handle (nil)
warn:dpa:DPA_GetPtr not enough pointers in array (0 vs 0).

which show up right before the app terminates. Note that the app runs
but I terminate it using the close button provided by the window manager.

About half the time when exiting X after running a wine app and having
it fail, the X server is unable to restore the console and the system
must be rebooted to restore console operation.

Any ideas where I should start looking to troubleshoot this problem?

Gus