[Wine] TMG -- MS Visual Foxpro errors

Matthew L Reed matty at zootal.com
Sat Feb 10 17:39:14 CST 2007

c0000005 is a very common error with that version of FoxPro. Looks like it uses VFP7 runtime, which is 2 versions and several years out of date. Version 7 was fairly buggy, and prone to c0000005 errors. When I see these happen in older version, I tell the client to upgrade to VFP9. It's also possible that Wine is contributing to this as well. Also, corruption tables/indexes/files can cause this. About the only thing you can do is delete and reinstall, but I'm doubtfull that will help. The next thing is to go back to the vendor and see if they have a current version based on VFP8 or 9, or if the source code is available. I have, over the years, wasted way too much time trying to fix c05 errors, and it's almost always been caused by bugs in VFP. The current version has several of these fixed because I was able to show Microsoft how to duplicate them.

If you have the expertise, you can install VFP9 runtime, and make a program in VFP9 that calls the VFP7 program (tmg.exe). This forces it to run with VFP9 runtime and in some cases that fixes things. I used to run Visual AccountMate (VAM) version 5 with VFP8 runtime, and it fixed several things that were known bugs in VFP5. Unfortunately, there are a few changes to VFP9 that might cause other problems, such as the ENGINEBEHAVIOR setting that has to do with whether or not sloppy SQL will execute. VFP9 defaults to much stricter syntax and this prevents VFP7 or 8 apps running out of the box with VFP9 runtime. IOW, YMMV.