[Wine] Serial Woes

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Sat Feb 17 07:07:21 CST 2007

    Larry> I have been trying to throw away my dependence on Windoz since
    Larry> the early Pentium era, but there always seems to be some
    Larry> essential application that can't be replaced. Currently it is the
    Larry> programs that read my blood glucose meeter and an athletic
    Larry> trainer system. Both of them communicate through a serial port. I
    Larry> am currently working on getting the trainer going. It loads fine
    Larry> and has no trouble running until it tries to connect to the
    Larry> hardware. I get a program error saying that it cannot find the
    Larry> trainer. I seem to have the link that points wine to the serial
    Larry> port device, but the terminal screen fills with 'handle not
    Larry> found' errors when the connection is attempted. Surely, after all
    Larry> the work that has gone into wine, someone has gotten the serial
    Larry> ports to work.

I suspect that your setup is wrong. Either the serial port has inappropriate
permissions or the link in dosdevices is wrong.

I suggest you should learn some basic wine debugging. Run with e.g. with
WINEDEBUG=+relay, pipe the resulting output into a file and afterwards grep
through the file to find the place where the application tries to open the
serial port. Try to find out what goes wrong and fix your setup.

Bye
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de