[Wine] Can I use PDF virtual printer from CUPS in WINE?

Detlef Riekenberg wine-users at web.de
Sun Jul 15 05:57:48 CDT 2007

On Fr, 2007-07-13 at 22:11 +0800, Flying wrote:
> >> As the subject describes, "Can I use PDF virtual printer from CUPS in WINE?"
> > I use cups-pdf regular from wine.
> May I know how you install the printer with WINE?

Wine does this automatic.

> When I'm in any application running under WINE,
> they always tell me there is no printer installed,

> BTW, I have no issue printing to PDF from my KDE applications via CUPS.

>From recent experience, i expect that:
- you have a 64-Bit system
- your system has no 32-Bit version of libcups

My results:
detlef at p4:/_v/src/printer$ file /usr/lib/libcups*
/usr/lib/libcupsimage.so:   symbolic link to `libcupsimage.so.2'
/usr/lib/libcupsimage.so.2: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386,
version 1 (SYSV), stripped
/usr/lib/libcups.so:        symbolic link to `libcups.so.2'
/usr/lib/libcups.so.2:      ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386,
version 1 (SYSV), stripped

Wine is using "/etc/printcap", to get the installed Printers,
when CUPS does not work.

>From recent experience, i expect that you have:
- no Printers listed in "/etc/printcap"

To print from wine, you still need the "lpr"-tool
(I have the "lpr" wrapper from CUPS here: "cupsys-bsd" in ubuntu)

--

By by ... Detlef