[Wine] Fwd: first time IE6 woes

Duane Clark fpga at pacbell.net
Mon Jul 16 14:57:47 CDT 2007

James Hawkins wrote:
> On 7/16/07, Duane Clark <fpga at pacbell.net> wrote:
>> Richard Duran wrote:
>>> Didn't get any responses first time out...
>> If your goal is to run ie6, I strongly suggest that you go to
>> http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page
>>
>> Download and install that. It is much easier than trying to get ie6
>> running yourself.
>>

> Please don't promote ies4linux on winehq mailing lists.  We already
> have enough problems with that project as is.  The proper thing for
> Richard to do is to file a bug report in winehq's bugzilla.  With your
> suggestion, he'll happily install ies4linux, and we lose another
> useful bug report.  Richard is certainly free to run any app he wants,
> including ies4linux, especially as a workaround in the meantime, but
> to shoo away every user that wants to run ie6 in Wine out of the box
> is irresponsible and bad for the project.

I have to disagree with you (and please keep in mind that I have been
using Wine for 7 years and have a couple dozen patches committed). This
is a user mailing list, and if the goal of a user is to run ie6, then we
should help them to do that.

For most applications, a bug report might be helpful. This is certainly
not the case for ie6. This is a high profile application, and no
additional bug reports are going to speed it along. If the goal of a
user is to run ie6, I will continue to promote ies4linux, until such
time as running it under Wine is not a pain in the butt. Because
frankly, ies4linux is a very good program.