[Wine] re: Installation Output and First Use Output for FL 7

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Jul 23 08:42:32 CDT 2007

Travis wrote:

> I submitted Fruity Loop 7 to the AppDB and it got accepted and then
> after a little while it got deleted.  I don't know why as the
> notification did not give a reason

We had some gremlins deleting stuff from the appdb,
maybe you got hit.  When was this?

>  Anyway, I've been testing it with 0.9.41 and a lot of the issues
> have been resolved.  Sound latency is not a problem.
> In version .9.40 sampling/sound latency was an issue; now,
> WINE does a better job than XP.

Yay!

> Fruity Loops is not able to find the WASP plug in even
> though it is installed and the paths for it are correct in the
> registry.  I compared directory structure of FL 7 on XP with directory
> structure of FL 7 on WINE and they are identical.  Wasp is where it is
> suppose to be.  I also compared the registry settings for FL7 on XP to
> the registry settings on WINE and they are identical.  I am baffled as
> to why FL 7 can't find Wasp.

It's this line in the log:

err:module:import_dll Library MFC42.DLL (which is needed by
L"C:\\Program Files\\Image-Line\\FL Studio
7\\Plugins\\Fruity\\Generators\\Wasp\\Wasp_Eng.dll") not found

To fix this, you need to put a copy of MFC42.DLL into
.wine/drive_c/windows/system32.  It should have been
bundled with the FL installer, but they got lazy.
Watch out, it's possible to grab the wrong version of that file.
Safest way to get it is to install the Visual C++ 6 runtime package.
Easiest way to do that is
  $ wget http://kegel.com/wine/winetricks
  $ sh winetricks vcrun6

> I do receive a 1400 error during installation.  The error reads: Cannot
> read access control list.  Error code 1400.

That might be ok.

> sudo wine flstudio7_RC6b.exe

NEVER, ever run wine as root!  It's dangerous to run any app as root,
so don't, unless you're *trying* to modify your system and know
it's dangerous.
- Dan