[Wine] Re: Installing Maximizer Ver 7

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Wed Jul 25 06:25:05 CDT 2007

On Wednesday July 25 2007 09:02, Ian Whitfield wrote:
> Sorry I have not come back to the Forum yet on the last suggestion.
>
> Was messing around with 'Akregator' (Not sure if this is the cause!!)
> and all Hell broke out with my system. Things don't run any more and I
> got lots of freezes and even total Black Screen" (of death??). After a
> couple of re-starts and screen after screen of errors etc I got the
> system up again but it is not very happy.
>
> Will have to re-load I think but I loaned out my CD to a friend so will
> have to go and fetch on other side of town.
>
> Will get back re: Maximizer once I have sorted the problem. BTW is there
> any equiv of CTR-ALT-DEL to stop programs in Linux??

	Sorry, but your question is not related to this list because your problem has
nothing to do with WINE. Short answer is very simple: your problem is because
of broken hardware or broken proprietary drivers.
	Long answer is long... Below is just my personal experience. Read it only if
you like such "personal long stories".

	Messing around with any userland application in any way on Linux CANNOT broke
your system. Only broken hardware and broken proprietary drivers can (but as
far as I know drivers fron NVidia works perfectly for many months or more of
active work). Do you have memory with ECC? If not is it from Kingston (not
warranty for perfect quality but for me it always worked fine) or other brand
who test memory before selling it?
	Do you have *good* motherboard and other critical hardware? Did you have test
it for MONTHS of 24 hours per of absolutely stable work?
	If your answer is "No" for most or for all question then this means you
purchesed broken system and need to buy new good hardware.
	In fact, it is so often people search for an answer "Why my computer cannot
work 24 hours per day for months or years without crashing?". But answer is
very simple: buy good hardware! Personally I have two computers. Both do not
contain server hardware, do not have memory with ECC. But even without these
important for perfect stability things they work perfectly. In fact, after
few years of use 24 hours per day I do not know of any hardware or driver
problem on my computers.
	Not all hardware I did purchases was perfect of course. For example, I still
have in my home old DIMM memory 256 MiB, one from NCP, other one from Samsung
(total 512). At some point in the past I used it and it worked very bad. 7-10
days of uptime was typical. These DIMMs caused a lot of trouble to me
(including X server crashes, gcc segfaults and other problems during short
7-10 days of uptime); after such experience I buy only memory from Kingston.
	Other example is motherboard from Jetway. It worked fine for about 2 years
but at some point become extremely unstable. Typical uptime was no more then
1 or 2 days. And of course there was some problems with many programs, even
gcc was segfaulting every hour or two.
	Above stories is my experience with my first computer. As you can see, this
experience is far from perfect. But after this problems I always read a lot
of reviews in the Internet before I buy something. I have found some brands I
like and think that their hardware is stable and now I'm happy with stability
of my computer. Uptime is only limited to when *I* press the power button
(for physical maintaince or upgrade) once per few months.

	In short this long answer just means the following: if you do not have money
for server-quality hardware then try to find stable and cheap hardware from
good brands like Kingston, Epox, NVidia and others you like. See reviews in
the Internet, personal experience of other people, and so on.
	All of I have said above is just my suggestions based on my personal
experience. Your experience may vary. And remember: no one will give you REAL
warranty on hardware. Only warranty is that your hardware can be replaced
*if* you prove that it is broken. No one will give warranty that randomly
choosen instance of any hardware will work for you perfectly. This means that
even after reading a lot of positive reviews on piece of hardware you want to
buy you must still be carefull or you can buy broken hardware anyway.

> Will get back re: Maximizer once I have sorted the problem. BTW is there
> any equiv of CTR-ALT-DEL to stop programs in Linux??

	ksysguard, top, ps, kill, killall and many others related programs exist for
purpose of monitoring or killing processes. But simple user don't need 'em.
My personal use of these tools is limited for very specific purposes (related
to software development). Remember, they will not help you with your broken
hardware. Even if your problems is because of broken software (including
proprietary drivers), you need to fill proper bug reports in a proper places
to fix your problems.

	As I have said in the beginning of this message, your problems definitely not
WINE-related so this list is wrong place to ask. If you have farther
questions on this topic or need help with what hardware to buy, what programs
to use as system monitors and how, etc., please ask such questions on forumes
like http://www.linuxquestions.org .