[Wine] Installing MS Office problems

Dean Hamstead dean at fragfest.com.au
Fri Jul 27 00:17:50 CDT 2007

> Yes I also have a beta version of cxoffice already installed. And yes
> the thought crossed my mind to do this. And yes I also considered it
> 'bad' to copy this installation across.

the biggest downside is that cxoffice really brings office into
gnome/kde in a smooth way. so you can click on .doc files and it will
fire them up in office. i personally dont care about that feature, as i
only rarely use ms office and only then to use its maths objects (whose
proper names elude me)

anyway you can just quickly get wine to use the cxoffice bottles using
command line options. they escape me whilst im at work though. its
something like

wine --wine-base-dir=/wherever/your/basedir/is

and it will pick up all the config files etc and fire it all up.

> We will probably eventually purchase cxoffice anyway - we're using
> VirtualBox at the moment, but it's a bit clumsy to use, and also takes
> it's toll on underpowered machines.

cxoffice isnt really that expensive.

> But I was under the impression that Office actually installed into wine
> these days.

no it doesnt, cxoffice uses lots of hacks to get it to go, that arent
fit for wine. something to that effect anyway. im sure someone will
correct me.

take a look at the msoffice entries in appdb.winehq...

Dean