[Wine] Can I use Wine to Run the Scan Function of a HP Officejet 4215?

deedee deedee at writestop.com
Mon Jul 30 13:22:50 CDT 2007

Hi Bob,

On Saturday 28 July 2007 12:16 pm, Robert Wessling wrote:
>     I have been trying to use the scan function of my HP
> Officejet 4215 by invoking sane.  And that is not working.

I don't know which Linux distribution you're using and I doubt
that it matters (but it may), however, I've always had HP
multifunction printers (copiers, scanners, etc.) connected to my
Linux systems since I migrated to Linux in 2002 and have never
had a problem using all the functions. I use Mandriva Linux.

I currently have the hplip, hplip-hpijs, hplip-hpijs-ppds,
hplip-model-data, and hpoj packages installed as well as
libraries (a quick scan of my system shows libhpip0, libhpojip0).
There may be more packages or libraries, and I have no idea which
ones are critical for the scanner functions. I also have the full
CUPS packages installed. I have a number of HP printers connected
to my system -- not all of them are multifunction.

I generally install the printer first of any multifunction machine
and when I do, the HP driver installs the remainder of the
functions. Regarding the scanner function, once it is installed,
I get a message saying not to use any other means of installing
or configuring the scanner. Mandriva has a scanner installation
program of its own. I assume it's warning me not to use that. In
any event, I make sure the machine is on when I fire up XSane.
XSane has never had a problem detecting, configuring, and
operating any of them.

>     I have been pursuing sane but that doesn't work as of 4
> weeks effort.   I want to stop using windows XP.
>
>     I can't  be sure but I think I saw that for wine to let me
> scan it uses sane .  I hope not.

AFAIK, all hardware is installed and operated through Linux and
that's where Wine will look for it. Any hardware that isn't
working under Linux will not work under Wine on a Linux system
(at least that's the rule of thumb I use). I would suggest
checking to see if you have the latest HP printer driver packages
installed. Then, uninstall the 4215 and reinstall it. I'm not a
command-line person, so I always use the GUI frontend when there
is one and therefore use XSane. So, XSane needs to be installed
with all its libraries as well. Make sure the machine is on and
see if XSane will use the scanner then.

HTH,
deedee
--