[Wine] X11 Configuration

Derek McGowan dmcgowan at deniment.on.ca
Sat Jun 16 12:58:29 CDT 2007

Hi All ...

   I'm a little new to Linux, and WINE, and need a little guidance
please.  I am running Suse 10.1, and WINE 0.9.39.

   I keep getting the following error and several programs I try to run

fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from
32 to 8

  Through the investigation I've done, I'm beginning to think that the
standard config of X11 that was created through install is not good
enough - I think that some display issues could be resolved with a
better configuration file for X11

   I know the hardware is capable of running these prgrams, because I
have a Windows partition that they run fine on.

  I also understand (I think) that there is an alternative to X11 that
SUSE may have moved to.

   What I am looking for is clearly understandable instructions on how
to manually edit the configuration files to ensure that all available
modes are listed and usable - I think I need to do this manually,
because I think that the automatic mode does not create the config file
with ALL available modes.

   Any guidance that anyone can provide would be much appreciated ...

Thanks

Derek