[Wine] Using VC8/VS2005 command line compiler on wine

Stefan Buschmann s_buschmann at gmx.de
Fri Mar 2 05:54:57 CST 2007

Hi all!

Does anyone successfully use the VC8/VS2005 command line tools (cl.exe
and link.exe) with wine yet?
I'm trying to setup VC8 in our cross compiling environment (which
already works perfectly with VC7), but have some problems here.
After some tries, I can now run cl.exe with wine to compile our sources
(although some command line parameters cause the program to crash, but
that's not crucial). But when I try to start the linker, I get the
following error message:

LINK : fatal error LNK1101: incorrect MSPDB80.DLL version; recheck
installation of this product

link.exe itself can be started without problems, showing the available
command line parameters. But as soon as I try to really link some object
files to a target executable, the above happens. The directory
containing MSBPD80.DLL (C:\Programme\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\Common7\IDE) is in the path, and I already tried copying it to
C:\Programme\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin (where link.exe is
located) and even to C:\windows\system32, but both without success.

Any ideas?

-- Stefan