[Wine] VB 3.0 Installation on Wine

Ed Davies wine.pjy.20070120 at edavies.nildram.co.uk
Mon Mar 19 08:09:25 CDT 2007

I'm having problems running VB 3.0 programs under Wine
and installing the VB 3.0 development environment.

According to the app DB people have got VB 3.0 running
before.

I'm running on Ubuntu Dapper (x86).  Previous tests were
with earlier versions of Wine - I've had this problem
hanging about for a few weeks now.  This morning I
uninstalled Wine with extreme prejudice (i.e., asking
Synaptic to remove configuration files, etc) and
deleted by ~/.wine directory then installed 0.9.33.
This produced the same results I saw before.

I can run my VB3 application but I have to copy the DLLs,
etc, which it requires (VBRUN300.DLL, various .VBXs) into
the application directory.  If they're just in
Windows\System (~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system) they're
not found.

When I come to install VB 3.0 from floppy using:

   wine /media/fd/setup.exe

the first few windows go fine including confirmation
that installation will be in C:\VB then I get one
saying:

   Setup needs to install some files in your
   Windows directory.  This directory is on a
   drive other than the one where you want to
   install Visual Basic.

   If you choose Custom installation on the
   next screen, Setup will show you the
   space required on each of these drives.

Pressing OK on that gives a window with a choice of
Complete Installation or Custom Installation.  Choosing
Complete gives a window asking about installing ODBC
drivers then an error, choosing Custom goes direct to
the error.  The error message is not overly helpful:

   Setup could not be completed due to system
   errors.

   Please clear up the cause of errors and try
   again.  To install VB properly, please run setup
   again.

wine notepad.exe runs fine.  Another 32-bit Windows
program also works OK, modulo some issues with serial
port handling which I may look into at some point in
the future.  Therefore I think the basic Wine
installation is not completely borked.

Any suggestions for what I should try next?

Thanks,

Ed Davies.