[Wine] Can't run winecfg under Mandriva 2006

Leo Orionis leoorionis at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 19 00:45:33 CDT 2007

Hello everyone:

I'm running Mandriva 2006 on a 64-bit dual-core machine with 1 Gb of
RAM and 800 Gb of storage.  Yesterday I downloaded the package
"wine-0.9.17-mdk.i586.rpm" from www.winehq.com, saved it to disk, and
then installed it.  I got no error messages, but I can't run the
winecfg program.  Here's what I get:

[leo at localhost Documents]$ wine
Usage: wine PROGRAM [ARGUMENTS...]   Run the specified program
       wine --help                   Display this help and exit
       wine --version                Output version information and
exit

[leo at localhost Documents]$ winecfg
wine: creating configuration directory '/home/leo/.wine'...
cp: cannot stat `/usr/bin/../local/share/wine/wine.inf': No such file
or directory
wine: wineprefixcreate failed while creating '/home/leo/.wine'.

[leo at localhost Documents]$ wine --version
Wine 0.9.17

Can anyone help me out, please?  I've been using Linux for a couple of
years now, but there are still a few old MS-DOS and Windows games I
like.  Currently I have a P3 set up just to run them, but I'd like to
do everything on my real computer.

Thanks! -- Leo