[Wine] Re: problem with installing csi:dark motives

Segin segin2005 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:45:50 CDT 2007

Daniel_davies at blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
> hi, im all new to linux. i am running ubuntu as my windows was causing
> me problems so i decided to go to linux.
> but i bought csi:dark motives before this happened and now i cant play
> it.
> i can install it using wine but when it nears to the end of the
> installation it says "run-time error '429'. ActiveX component cant't
> cretae object. please can someone tell me what im doing wrong

See, there's your problem, you assume that Wine is perfect, and that all
problems are user-generated and are the user's fault. Wine isn't
perfect, and it doesn't do ActiveX all that well. You can try using
DCOM98, which there is a guide that goes over this here:
http://www.vislab.uq.edu.au/research/accessgrid/software/xap400/gware_wine.html
(Yes, the guide is also more stuff, but the DCOM98 parts apply universally)

You can also run a Google Search to see if anyone has had any problems
with this game under Wine before.

Finally, you can try reading the Wine User's Guide. It is available as a
PDF here: http://ftp.codeweavers.com/pub/crossover/docs/wine-user.pdf

If all else fails, you can try the next version of Wine.