[Wine] Wine with CIFS home directory

ddoctor at kamikazeperverts.com ddoctor at kamikazeperverts.com
Mon Mar 19 00:45:52 CDT 2007

I have Single Sign On at my home network - my linux home directories
are mounted from my Win2k fileserver. I try to run winecfg and get the
below error, obviously because CIFS and NTFS doesn't support symlinks.

How do I get wine to run from somewhere else?

[samplesurgeon at camembert ~]$ winecfg
wine: creating configuration directory '/home/samplesurgeon/.wine'...
ln: creating symbolic link
`/home/samplesurgeon/.wine-TI6iMN/dosdevices/c:' to `../drive_c':
Operation not supported
wine: wineprefixcreate failed while creating
'/home/samplesurgeon/.wine'.

I don't even really understand why the windows c drive would be mounted
within /home/user anyway - wouldn't it make sense to put it in, eg
/wine or /drive_c - somewhere NOT user-specific. After all - Linux
programs run from /bin, not /home/username/bin

I run Fedora 5 and installed from the RPM on Fedora Extras.