[Wine] Re: Wine crash

Timm timmr at atlanticbb.net
Mon Mar 19 00:46:02 CDT 2007

James K. <james at bst.cx> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I can't use Wine from version >=0.9.18 anymore.
> It compiles ok and then it crashes somewhere in the middle of
> installation,
> I think when Wine tries to execute something.
> Even when I try to run winecfg it crashes.
> It worked with Wine version 0.9.17 and lower.
> Anyone have any idea what's wrong ?
> I'm running Slackware 10.0.

I had the same problem, but thanks to folks at WINE bugzilla I was set
straight. Basically you need to move to kernel 2.6. Slack default
kernel 2.4 does not do NPTL. Make the move, it's worth the effort.
And really the effort involved is  minimal.

I looked for patches for NPTL for kernel 2.4 series and couldn't find
any. I'm glad I couldn't , because the 2.6 kernel has much better performance.

You might consider upgrading from 10.0 also. 11.0 is on the near
horizon. 'upgradepkg --installnew *' and a new slack distro is what
you need, especially if you are trying to keep up with wine. The newer
distros come with a 2.6 kernel in /testing dir.

--
Timm