[Wine] Re: Wine for the End-user?

David Rowell djrpublic at cfl.rr.com
Mon Mar 19 00:46:12 CDT 2007

I started using Ubuntu Linux about 9 months ago.  I was looking to
eventually replace Windows XP and avoid buying "Longhorn".  I can relate
to all your apprehensions regarding a new OS - it IS a serious change.
I started using Wine not long after I started using Ubuntu because I
just couldn't find a Linux substitute for a couple of applications.

This forum and the WineHQ web site have been invaluable.  Thanks Daniel!
  Consult the WineHQ Application Database for suggestions.  When you
find how to do something new - share.

It all began to come together and make sense after about 3 months and
makes more sense every day.  I've booted to Windoze 2 times since May.
Before then, mostly to take some on-line courses that absolutely
required IE & Win.  If you look for it there IS a good deal of "printed"
information out there on the web.  And I hate to say this but (RTFM!)
read the help files and man pages on any (I assume) recent Linux distro.
  Documentation has come a long way in the last year.  If you really
want to take the book approach there is a new Ubuntu book available or
soon to be available.  BTW Firefox and Thunderbird are standard features
of Ubuntu.  Subscribe to and read the back issues of TUX magazine on line.

I'm convinced that Linux, Ubuntu (Kbuntu) anyway, is a viable desktop OS
at this time.  I believe that several other distro's are aimed more
toward the corporate user and wouldn't be as useful to you.  I know of a
computer semi-literate person whose brother installed Ubuntu on her
brand new laptop, completely removing Windoze - she loves it.  I have
almost no interest in or knowledge of mainstream Windows games so I
won't comment there.

Windows compatibility is a moving target - it's (deliberately?) very
poorly documented.  Wine will probably never run all Windows apps.  In
all fairness Windows doesn't run all Windows apps perfectly either!