[Wine] Re: Wine for the End-user?

searbe at googlemail.com searbe at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:46:17 CDT 2007

Thanks for the great responses! Kubuntu looks like a must try, I think
I'll invest in another hard drive and dual boot and see if I get along
with it better. I've mostly spent time trying to get to grips with
Fedora.

> Which applications?

100% necessary are the latest versions of Dreamweaver and Fireworks.
Photoshop CS2 would be good, too. That's the trouble - the software I
use (and need) are usually latest versions. Visual Basic 6 and Visual
Studio.net would also be valuable to me, at least in the near future.
Then I have my games, but they're not *needed* and I don't play them
very often nowadays.

> Oh, maybe.  Which version of Linux are you using?  If it's not Ubuntu,
> maybe you should give that a try.  There's a lot less commandline
> fiddling
> needed with modern Linuxes like Ubuntu than there used to be.

I used Fedora as I thought it would be a good idea so I can eventually
figure out setting up a Linux web server - but I wanted to try it as a
replacement OS, too. As suggested in the first reply, I think I'll try
Kubuntu first this time...

> I think for 1.0 the main goals are "installers should all just work"
> and
> "quite a few games should work well".  I think it's unrealistic to
> expect 100% or even a high percentage of apps to really run well with
> 1.0.
> Most likely the top dozen or so apps will run really well,
> maybe 25% of apps will run well enough to use, 50% will run but be
> quite annoying,
> and 25% won't run at all.
> Those numbers should improve as Wine ages.

Okay, that clears up the aims of 1.0 for me :-)  I'd really like to be
able to play recent games in linux; I don't often play games but when I
do I like them to be the nice new ones :-D