[Wine] Re: Problems with Steam (counter-strike)

Stegozor stegozor at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:46:38 CDT 2007

Jc wrote:
> I'm running Steam on Ubuntu 6.06. I actually have wineboot in my GNOME

What's wineboot? First time I hear about it.

> session start up so steam logs in when my laptop starts. It even seems
> fine under XGL. The mini browser for news is fine. Counter-Strike
> Source is also fine.

cs source? So you have a pretty powerful PC, don't you?

> The only problem i have is that sound is quite laggy.
>
> I did have problems with 0.9.17 but 0.9.20 seems fine.

Doh. Have you installed proprietary drivers for your video card, or are
you simply running Ubuntu? I think I have more than enough RAM and also
that my CPU is powerful enough, so I suspect that the video card (or
rather the way it's handled) could be the limiting factor.

I just added winehq repository to synaptic and downloaded 0.9.20 from
there (after having fully removed previous version of wine) and ran
SteamInstall.exe. Once the install is finished, Steam is unable to
update itself (the updating... windows appears, but stays so, without
any counter). When I quit it with Ctrl-C and then launch steam.exe, it
updates itself correctly and I get usual Steam login window, but without
any text on it. Just the green thingy.