[Wine] Re: MIDI default output port / how to select timidity by default?

Joerg Hoehle hoehle at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 19 00:46:54 CDT 2007

Daniel Skorka <skorka at gmx.net> writes:
> I don't know about reconfiguring wine, but why don't just connect the
> ports with aconnect?
Indeed,
	aconnect 62:0 128:0
somehow works. For the first time, I've been able to listen to MIDI
music from within Wine!

However, I'm not convinced this is the right solution. Doing so
causes timidity to eat 25% of 600MHz CPU time even when there's
nothing to play!
I.e., as soon as I aconnect the above, CPU% goes up.

I'm afraid there's something like a recursive output loop happening
here, i.e. timidity receiving its own output?!?

Such does not happen when accessing timidity's port directly, e.g.
	aplaymidi -p 128:0 foo.mid
without aconnect, in which case timitidy only eats CPU while playing
music (20-50% of 1.6GHz CPU, depending on the MIDI file).

Here's some mapping info:
    aconnect -ol
client 62: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'